The forum will be structured around the following themes:
- Analysis and assessment of environmental, social and economic impact of abiotic stresses in marginal environments;
- Current best practices for adaptation to and mitigation of salinity, drought and heat, and poor quality water in marginal environments;
- Solutions to increase utility of salt-affected soil and water resources in food, feed and biofuel production;
- Policies and strategies to promote and encourage adoption of best practices, suitable approaches, technologies and crops among farmers and other natural resource users.
- Salinity management and innovative monitoring technologies;
- Sustainable use of natural resources from field to watershed level;
- Climate change downscaling and forecasting;
- Harnessing crop diversity involving conventional and non-conventional breeding approaches;
- Novel biotechnological tools and applications;
- Fodder insecurity and alternate land uses;
- Aquaculture production systems for saline areas;
- Precision agriculture;
- Gender equality and socio-economic studies for different regions;
- Policies defining ecological/environmental services.
Outputs and Results
The forum is expected to produce the following outputs and results:
- A summary report on the current scale and impact of abiotic stresses in different areas;
- New linkages and partnerships between various national, regional and international initiatives targeting marginal environments.